Indeed, homemade remedies and old wives cures can be refreshing in our everyday life full of chemicals and pharmaceutical drugs. One of the most widely used items from our household is the baking soda, which can provide a number of advantages for the health. Undoubtedly, there are numerous baking soda uses that you haven’t heard of:
Old wives cures
- Drink a mixture of baking soda and water to relieve muscle pain after strenuous exercise.
- Sprinkle baking soda on a damp nail brush and scrub nails to remove grime and kill nail fungus.Mix 3 tbs. baking soda, 1 tbs. peppermint essential oil, 1 tbs. salt and warm water and soak for 20 minutes in order to relieve itching, soreness and odor.
- Gargle with baking soda and water to freshen your breath.
- Sprinkle a little on your toothbrush; brush and rinse as usual.
Baking soda is the best home remedy for whitening teeth.
- Prevent acne, remove excess facial oil and dead skin with a baking soda scrub. Mix 1 tbs. baking soda with 1 tsp. water and rub gently on your face.
Apply to skin to relieve bee stings, insect bites, itching from poison ivy, oak and sumac. Mix baking soda with water into a thick paste for stings, or make a thin wash to use with a compress.
Apply a paste of baking soda and water to canker sores and herpes lesions to dry them up quickly.
Home remedies for acidity
In order to relieve acid reflux and create an alkaline-forming environment in your body, mix 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. baking soda with 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice or organic apple cider vinegar. It will foam and fizz, so use a tall glass and wait for all bubbling to stop. Then add 8 oz. water and drink all at once. This mixture neutralizes the pH, buffers stomach acid and reduces acidosis.
Relieve heartburn, acid reflux and GERD symptoms by drinking a mixture of 1/2 tsp. baking soda and 16 oz. water.
Other baking soda home remedies
-Dr. Mark Sircus in his book, Sodium Bicarbonate, discusses the findings of Dr. Tullio Simoncini with regard to cancer being a yeast overgrowth and explores treatment protocols with baking soda. Hence, in order to prevent systemic fungal infections and protect against diabetes and cancer, use a mixture of baking soda and molasses.
- Thrombosis can be relieved by drinking a mixture of baking soda and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
- Treat a urinary tract infection by drinking an 8 oz. glass of water mixed with 1/2 tsp. baking soda once or twice a day.
- To kill candida yeast and stop itching, douche with a mixture of 1 tablespoon of baking soda and warm water.
- Gargle with the baking soda and water mixture to remove oral thrush.
Yet, although it’s safe when used as directed, baking soda can cause side effects, as it can interact with prescription drugs. Therefore, you need to check with your healthcare practitioner before using baking soda home remedies.
Remember that baking soda should be used after it’s been dissolved in liquid, never in its dry powder form.
Baking soda home remedies may deplete your body of essential minerals and vitamins. It should not be used on a low sodium diet unless under supervision.
Also, do not use baking soda home remedies for more than a two week period without consulting your doctor. Furthermore, it should not be used by pregnant or nursing women or by children under the age of 5.
Other included sources linked in Natural New’s article:
About the author:
READ MORE OF JEAN (JB) BARDOT’S ARTICLES AT THE FOLLOWING LINKS:
JB Bardot is an herbalist and a classical homeopath, and has a post graduate degree in holistic nutrition. Bardot cares for both people and animals, using alternative approaches to health care and lifestyle. She writes about wellness, green living, alternative medicine, holistic nutrition, homeopathy, herbs and naturopathic medicine. You can find her at The JB Bardot Archives at www.jbbardot.com and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/jbbardot23 or on Twitter at jbbardot23 or https://twitter.com/jbbardot23