Happy Tuesday readers! I feel like I have an extra spring in my step today and I think its due to the fact that the weather has been so perfect lately. Ive been savoring each and every day outside before the winter rolls back in.
Today I have a delicious salad recipe for you to grill up and a review of a fun little product that was recently sent to me. Im a huge fan of brown bagging it for lunch but always get frustrated by having 3-4 containers floating around in my lunch bag. Enter Laptop Lunches. When I saw these containers I knew that they were the answer to my problem and just had to have one. Lucky for me they said that I could pick one to call my own. I chose this beautifully colored Bistro Bento Box which I thought would be the perfect fit for my lunches. I found that this box worked perfectly to pack a salad for lunch with a separate container for the dressing. There was even one additional compartment for a side item. One of my favorite parts was that the container that I put my dressing in did not leak at all!
Its back to school time and so I would highly suggest looking into getting one of these for yourself or your children. They are sturdy, microwave/dishwasher safe and BPA-free. Seriously, they didnt pay me to say any of these nice things.
So with that, I have this tasty Grilled Sesame Chicken Salad, perfect for lunches or dinner. If youre a fan of Asian salads, youll love this!
- Dressing and Marinade
- 14 c low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp finely minced ginger
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 12 tsp salt, then more to taste as desired
- 14 cup red wine vinegar
- 14 cup chopped green onions, green and white parts
- 2 (9 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lb napa cabbage, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 112 2 cups matchstick carrots, or 2 medium carrots cut into matchsticks
- 23 cup slivered or sliced almonds, toasted
- 12 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 chopped green onions, green and white parts
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds (or an additional 1 tsp white, toasted)
- For the marinade: In a mixing bowl (or 2-cup liquid measuring cup), whisk together soy sauce, ginger, canola oil, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, Sriracha and 12 tsp salt (adding more salt to taste as desired.) Add chicken breasts to a large resealable bag and add 3 Tbsp of the marinade mixture, reserving remaining. Seal bag and rub marinade over chicken, then transfer chicken to refrigerator and let marinate at least 30 minutes, or up to 1 day.
- For the dressing: Add red wine vinegar and 14 cup chopped green onions to marinade mixture and whisk to blend. Set aside (chill in refrigerator if marinating chicken longer than 1 hour).
- For the salad: Heat a grill or grill pan over stove top over medium-high heat. Brush grill lightly with canola or vegetable oil, then place marinated chicken on grill and cook, about 4 minutes per side, or until chicken has cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. Then, cut chicken crosswise into strips about 14-inch thick.
- To assemble salad: In a large bowl toss together cabbage, chicken, carrots, almonds, 3 chopped green onions, and cilantro with enough dressing to coat salad. Sprinkle top with sesame seeds and serve.