- 1 1/2 cups diced seeded tomato
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled feta cheese
- 4 (2-ounce) ciabatta sandwich rolls, halved
Again, Cooking Light has supplied me with this delicious recipe for Grilled Chicken and Tapenade Sandwiches. While fresh herbs make for the best flavor, substituting for dried herbs is OK in my book. I also use fat-free feta to cut down on the calories and fat. It isnt as creamy as regular feta but still has that wonderful salty flavor.
Combine the first 7 ingredients in a bowl, add 2 teaspoons of oil and let stand for 15 minutes while you prepare the chicken. I used grape tomatoes, as I had them on hand and needed to use them up. (Im often accused of wasting produce.)
Brush the chicken with the remaining oil and lightly season with salt and pepper. The tapenade mixture is flavorful enough that you wont need much for seasoning on the chicken. Again, Im stuck with broiling the chicken as its too cold to grill. Or you can use a grill rack, if available. Cook thoroughly and wait 5 minutes before slicing.
Add the feta and salt to the tomato mixture and stir. Place the chicken slices on the bottom half of the bun, top with the tapenade and enjoy! I used Breadsmith butter top rolls, which probably arent the lowest calorie option but I really love how dense and delicious they are. You can serve this with a small side salad to complete your meal.