- Dough and Filling
- Dough for a double crust 9-inch pie (homemade, frozen, or refrigerated)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 3 1/2 cups peeled, chopped cooking apples
- 1 (16-ounce) jar applesauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, chopped into small pieces
- Crunch Topping
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Dash salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
Edit: Happy 100th posting to Food N Focus today!!
It seems like the theme lately has been that I start out the week with a sweet. Despite the fact that its Tuesday, Im starting the week with Apple Pie. Cue the drooling! This is a Paula Deen recipe so you know that 1) its really good and 2) it includes butter. Enjoy.
Start by preheating your oven to 425. From here youre going to make your crust. Im not going to lie…I bought a crust and it still tasted amazing. Line a 9 inch pie plate with the first half of the dough.
Combine the flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add in the apples, applesauce and lemon juice. I used a chunky apple sauce for extra texture and flavor. Spoon the apple mixture into the pie plate and dot with the butter. Cut the remaining crust into strips and lattice top the pie.
For the crunch topping, combine the flour, sugar and salt in a small bowl. Cut in the butter to form a crumbly topping and then sprinkle over the lattice topped pie. Bake for 10 minutes and then reduce the heat to 350 and bake for an additional 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Serve your pie warm with ice cream. Yum!