I’m not going to lie, this is probably the last thing on earth that I pictured myself eating. If you recall, I have an aversion to spinach. But once again, I’m amazed by the power of spinach! If you’re looking for a last minute Thanksgiving side dish I would highly recommend trying this out. It’s even topped with those little crunchy fried onions that everyone loves. Seriously, they should sell those in large potato chip style bags because I would totally buy them.
You’re also in luck because today I’m giving you another chance to enter my organicgirl giveaway, featuring an entire year of organic greens! There’s only one chance left after today to enter so make sure you spread the word far and wide!
- 1 stick Butter
- 8 Tablespoons Flour
- Â½ whole Medium Onion, Finely Diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
- 2 cups Milk
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch Ground Nutmeg
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 24 ounces, weight Baby Spinach
- Â½ cup French fried onions
- Melt 1 stick of butter in a pot. Sprinkle in flour and whisk together. Cook over medium heat for five minutes or until light golden brown.
- Add in the onion and garlic and stir together, cooking for another minute. Pour in milk, whisking constantly, and cook for another five minutes while you cook the spinach.
- To cook spinach, melt 3 tablespoons butter in a separate pot. Add spinach in increments until all incorporated, and cook until wilted but not soggy, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Season the cream sauce with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add spinach to the cream sauce, stirring gently to combine.
- Pour the spinach into a 9Ã9 pan and top with the fried onions. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes.