One of my favorite things to eat are avocados. I love them on salads and tacos and if you put a bowl of guacamole in front of me I will probably grab a spoon and start eating. I look forward to the spring when avocados come into season and they dont cost $2.00 a piece. I try to get my fill during the season.
So today Im bringing you a quick and easy (and foolproof) guacamole recipe. But first, Ive got a few tips to help you choose the perfect avocado.
- You cannot determine if an avocado is ripe just by the color. Hass avocados will turn dark green to black as they ripen, while some other varieties of avocados will remain lighter green as they ripen.
- To tell if an avocado is ripe, place it in the palm of your hand and gently squeeze. GENTLY! The avocado should be firm but will create indents under gently pressure.
- You should avoid avocados that are too dark or have blemishes on the surface.
- If you choose an unripe avocado you can place the avocado in a brown paper bag and store it for 2-5 days.
So there you have it. Theres your life lesson for today. And now for the guacamole!
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 medium ripe tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon minced cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Place the onions, jalapenos, lime juice and 12 teaspoon of salt in a medium bowl. Use a muddler or the back of the spoon to press the flavors together.
- Scoop the fruit out of the avocados and place it into the bowl with the lime juice mixture. Use a knife to cut the fruit into the mixture.
- Add in the tomatoes and cilantro and use a spoon to mix gently. Add additional salt as needed.